Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Heroes and wives

Just for clarification's sake, this post will be about one of each (I have multiple "heroes" but only one wife...everybody clear? Good.).

Today just about made my summer. Katie, FPL's Communications Director, took Stephanie (the other intern) and I to an awesome event at the Center for American Progress. They were launching their new book, Debating the Divine, a compilation of essays by leading thinkers in the field of religion and politics. As part of the launch, they held a debate/forum moderated by a previously alluded to hero of mine...the great E.J. Dionne of the Washington Post and author of several books that have been extremely formative in terms of my political thought (Why Americans Hate Politics and Souled Out). I may be a journalism nerd but seeing Dionne up close and personal was a serious dream come true.

In other, less nerdy happenings: Brooke and I had a great weekend together. Saturday, we visited the National Cathedral which I would classify a must-see for all D.C. travelers. The craftsmanship that went into that building over 80+ years was remarkable to bear witness to. We topped the afternoon off with probably the best pizza we've ever had at 2 Amy's (I hope to be a repeat visitor before we leave). We drove around several neighborhoods before heading back to VA; before we made it home, I popped a kid's soccer ball with my tire (long story, ask me in person if you care and I only hurt the ball, not the kid).

Sunday, we had a pretty lousy day in terms of the places we visited, the service we received and seeing plans come to fruition. I won't trouble you with details other than to say that my wife is pretty great. By all accounts and from all angles, Sunday should have been a terrible day but it ended up being one of the summer's highlights to date. Brooke and I laughed off adversity and had meaningful conversation about multiple subjects. It's a blessing to be able to truly enjoy an abundance of life with your best friend.

I still intend to post about our visit to the Holocaust Museum two weekends ago but I'm still kicking around those thoughts. So, I'll save it for a future time...

1 comment:

jenniferharrisdault said...

Visiting the Holocaust Museum was probably THE most meaningful thing I've done in D.C. and maybe one of the most meaningful places I've visited anywhere...

Have you been to the Sojourners offices, yet? They've moved since I've been there, but that was a fun visit.